Friday, September 26, 2008

Canning


After canning 30 quarts of pears for the first time, at least the first time I wasn't just helping my Mum or sister, I have a lot more appreciation for what my sister does each year making all those pints and quarts of jams, jellies, fruits, mincemeat.... It was quite a task but I enjoyed it very much! The satisfaction of having completed a project makes it well worth the effort. I shall now attempt to can more than six jars of applesauce, it was seven but number seven bit the dust and is now no more. *sigh* I was rather hoping for a nice explosion while canning but alas, only a tiny clink as the bottom of one of the jars broke because I turned the heat up too fast. Disappointing to say the least!

Now off to pick apples to start those other pints of applesauce........:-D

2 comments:

TW said...

Canning is a lot of work, but it gives you a good feeling inside, both of wholesomeness and nostalgia.

T.W.

Janna said...

Mmm! Those pears look delicious. My condolences on your relatively excitement-free canning experience. ;)
P.s. I "tagged" you in the "Six Random Things About Me" meme on my blog: http://www.thejoyofhome.com/